Informationen für Bewerber:innen
Die nächste Ausschreibung erfolgt im Herbst 2021. Unsere Ausschreibung veröffentichen wir einmal jährlich, in der Regel Ende September. Der Bewerbungsschluss liegt dann Mitte November. Das gesamte Bewerbungsverfahren läuft in englischer Sprache ab.
We admit up to 10 doctoral fellows in the winter semester, which begins in October. Details about the application package can be found in our FAQ and will be published with the call for applications on our website. The availability of scholarships will be announced in the call for applications.
Currently, our supervisors can offer supervision for doctoral degrees in the following disciplines:
- Arabic Studies
- Asian and African Studies
- Central Asian Studies
- History of Islamic Art
- Human Geography
- Islamic Studies
- Iranian Studies
- Political Science
- Semitic Studies
- Social and Cultural Anthropology
- South and Southeast Asian Studies
- South East European History
Doctoral fellows at BGSMCS are concurrently enrolled in a university department, either at Freie Universität Berlin or at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, depending on the discipline and your first supervisor’s affiliation. This means that the supervisors can only accept doctoral researchers pursuing a degree in the discipline that they are currently working in. E.g., a professor in Islamic Studies can usually not supervise a doctoral fellow pursing a degree in political science etc.
Please understand that we cannot determine your eligibility for admission for a specific discipline before you have submitted your application package. It is important that the choice of discipline (which is connected to your preferred supervisor) should relate to your previous academic achievements AND to your planned doctoral research. The consideration of the following three points can help you to better assess your eligibility for a specific discipline:
- Check if you have learned the relevant methodological and theoretical skills to pursue a doctoral degree in the discipline that you choose.
- Consider the research that our supervisors are engaged in to determine whether your planned doctoral research falls within their area of interest and expertise.
- Consider the department websites for information about the courses our supervisors teach on the B.A. and M.A. level.
For further questions related to application and admission, please also consider our FAQ. General information about pursuing a PhD can be found here (Freie Universität Berlin) and here (Humboldt Universität zu Berlin). Please read through this information carefully before asking further questions. Thank you!
Should questions remain unanswered, please contact us through email@example.com .