Research Area Rethinking Social Order
This research area investigates the relevance of religious references for the social and political order. This includes the impact of religion on social cohesion, stratification, and interaction; the relevance of legal norms for social practices and the political order; the link between social, ethnic, and religious distinctiveness and sociopolitical tension, including “sectarian” or “communal” violence.
This area covers the following research focuses and potential dissertation topics:
- legal and social status groups;
- markers of group identity;
- spaces and forms of sociability;
- categories and representations of sociopolitical order;
- the rethinking gender roles.