The Graduate School Building
The Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies is located at Hittorfstr. 18, together with the Graduate School of East Asian Studies and the Berlin Graduate School of Ancien Studies. The villa was built by the family of biochemist Carl Neumann. The National Socialists forced Carl Neumann to sell the house to the stock corporation Kali-Chemie for a fraction of its value. Between 1949 and 1950 the Freie Universität Berlin acquired the building from the Kali-Chemie company and housed the Institute of Forensic Medicine. Since 2007 the building had housed the TOPOI cluster of excellence, and by 2019 three graduate schools of the Department of History and Cultural Studies had moved in.