This research area investigates the relevance of religious references for the social and political order. This includes the impact of religion on social cohesion, stratification, and interaction; the relevance of legal norms for social practices and the political order; the link between social, ethnic, and religious distinctiveness and sociopolitical tension, including “sectarian” or “communal” violence.
This area covers the following research focuses and potential dissertation topics:
- legal and social status groups;
- markers of group identity;
- spaces and forms of sociability;
- categories and representations of sociopolitical order;
- the rethinking gender roles.