Till Grallert

Till Grallert

Orient Institut Beirut

Till Grallert is currently a research associate at the Orient Institut Beirut of the Max Weber Foundation. He completed his Ph.D. with a thesis titled “To Whom Belong the Streets? Property, Propriety, and Appropriation: The Production of Public Space in Late Ottoman Damascus, 1875–1914.” at the Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies in 2014. He graduated from SOAS with a M.A. in Historical Research Methods (distinction) in 2008 and previously studied Islamwissenschaft, VWL, and Judaistik at Freie Universität Berlin. His current research project under the working title “women in the street” aims at establishing a genealogy of urban food riots in the Eastern Mediterranean between the eighteenth and the twentieth centuries.

Apart from the social and spatial history of late Ottoman cities and the history of popular contentions, he developed a strong interest in digital humanities and the socio-linguistics of early Arabic newspapers. This resulted, inter alia, in the recent online publication of a chronology of nineteenth century Arabic periodicals and known holdings (Project Jarāʾid). He is an active programmer and some of his tools for calender conversions or historical exchange rates can be found on GitHub. He teaches introductory courses to TEI and digital editions of Arabic source material at Digital Humanities Summer Institut at the University of Victory, BC, Canada and Digital Humanities Institute Beirut at the American University of Beirut and he occasionally blogs at www.sitzextase.de.

His research has been funded by the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes, DAAD, DFG, and the Council for British Research in the Levant.

 

In July 2015, the TRAFO-blog for transregional research published a short interview with Till Grallert.

Orient Institut Beirut (seit 2014):

Research Associate

 

Dissertationsprojekt (2009 - 2014):

To Whom Belong the Streets? Property, Propriety, and Appropriation: The Production of Public Space in Late Ottoman Damascus, 1875-1914